Our healthy gingerbread people are a crowd favourite here at Packed. I pretty much took Granny’s recipe and made a few healthy swaps. It works a treat! This makes a party sized batch, feel free to halve it, or make the full amount and freeze some for lunchboxes.
1 cup butter
½ – 1 cup rice malt syrup
1 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
2 beaten eggs
5 cups wholemeal spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Cream the butter, rice malt syrup and coconut sugar together.
2. Add egg and combine well.
3. Sift flour and baking powder and add to mixture with the spices.
4. Roll up in a plastic bag and pop in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
5. Roll out on a floured surface to about 5mm thick and cut with cookie cutters of your choosing.
6. Bake 12-15 mins in a 180°C oven on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
7. Cool on a baking rack.
9. Store in an airtight container or freeze extras.
Image credit: Bianca Virtue
KEEP UP WITH THE LATEST
Sign up to receive the latest news from Packed, as well as nutrition tips & ideas for families